Vancouver Frontrunners (VFR) welcomes and supports trans and gender variant runners & walkers.
VFR is inclusive, friendly, and social in spirit. VFR welcomes people from a range of running/walking abilities. The focus is on supporting people in their personal fitness goals and having fun.
In the past, VFR has primarily consisted of gay and lesbian members. However, recently VFR has increased its trans and gender variant members and expanded its understanding and competencies with issues facing transgender and gender variant runners and walkers. This has entailed a number of actions and considerations to create a more inclusive and supportive space, including:
• Expansion of gender options in the member registration process (as soon as these can be implemented);
• Development of the VFR Showering Policy; and
• Introduction of a third race category in the annual Pride Run and Walk.
Once our membership changes are complete, new members will be able to sign-up for VFR using any name and gender marker they identify with (regardless of their government-issued identification). The registration system will be updated to include more trans visibility and offer a third gender category for those identifying along a spectrum of gender variance. For those of you interested in joining please review the Information on becoming a member.
VFR also recognizes the unique challenges faced by trans and gender variant members when it comes to navigating change-room and/or shower facilities. As such, VFR has worked with Roundhouse Community Centre to develop a half hour period in which one of the binary shower facilities with three private stalls becomes
a mixed gender space for post-exercise use before weekly dinner outings.
Please review the details about VFR’s Showering Policy.
VFR is also excited to present the first Vancouver Pride Run and Walk with a third race category to celebrate the gender diversity and vibrancy of our community. VFR invites participants to register in the category with which they identify in terms of gender. VFR will be giving out prizing for top competitors in each category. During the registration process, participants will find three categories and may choose any category which they feel best reflects their gender identity:
b. Female; and
c. Gender Variant.
Information and registration for the Pride Run and Walk is published on our site.
Here are some videos, photos, and articles about trans and gender variant athletes:
• Kai Scott (VFR Board Member) discusses some of the unique challenges faced by trans athletes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scmIc3K7Irs
• Article on trans runner, Joanna Harper: http://sdgln.com/health/2010/10/12/transgender-runner-details-hurdles-changing-hormones-and-negative-stereotyping
• Article on trans triathlete, Chris Mosier: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/06/sports/for-transgender-triathlete-a-top-finish-is-secondary.html?_r=0
• Interview with trans hammer thrower, Keelin Godsey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nvlz2nfNvQ
• Fearless Project – Photos and Videos of LGBT Athletes: http://www.fearlessproject.org/#s=0&mi=1&pt=0&pi=13&p=-1&a=0&at=0
• Inclusion of the Transgender Athlete in Sports Teams by Pat Griffin: http://www.transgenderlaw.org/resources/Griffinarticle.pdf
• Website with resources, policies, and documents for and about trans athletes: http://www.transathlete.com/
• Trans, Gender Non-Conforming, and Intersex Athletes Network: www.tgiathletenetwork.com